The National Scholastic Athletics Foundation is pleased to announce that 17 high schools and clubs have been awarded Cedric Walker Development Grants for Fall, 2017. This is the fifth year that the NSAF has awarded grants in honor of the late Cedric Walker, who passed in March, 2013, very soon after that year's New Balance Nationals Indoor meet. Cedric had served the sport for more than 20 years – as a board member; founder of the Flower City TC in Rochester, New York; and as a coach, mentor and team manager at many levels, from local to international. He was indeed a “irreplaceable” part of the NSAF, a beloved family member and meant so much to so many people. Please see Joy Kamani’s memorial.
The list below includes programs in 10 different states, some impacted by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, and ranging from Florida and Texas to New York, Kansas and California.
- Summer Creek HS, Houston, TX
- Hicksville HS, Hicksville, NY
- DC Express TC, Decatur, GA
- White Plains HS, Anniston, AL
- Lansing HS, Lansing, KS
- Harry S. Truman HS, Croydon, PA
- Lithonia HS, Lithonia, GA
- North Edgecombe HS, Taboro, NC
- Next Level TC, Rochester, NY
- Just Blaze TC, Buffalo, NY
- East Stroudsburg HS, East Stroudsburg, PA
- California Elite, Carson, CA
- Western Branch HS, Chesapeake, VA
- 1st Coast TC, Orange Park, FL
- Hillsborough HS, Tampa, FL
- South Dade Express TC, Miami, FL
- Conroe HS, Conroe, TX
The grants generally range in amount from $300 to $1000, and their purpose is for "development" -- to help teams and clubs improve their facilities, purchase any needed equipment, meet various needs of their student-athletes, facilitate coaches' education and more.
As an additional dimension to the program is that each team or club must also participate in a volunteer service project in their community between now and the end of November. They are also encouraged to pledge to “Win with Integrity,” a nod to a former USATF program that speaks to much of the spirit of this grant and our Foundation.
We’ll look forward to hearing about and publishing stories, photos and videos of the activities of these clubs and teams, both in terms of their community service projects and the goals they are able to accomplish with these funds. Please send us your photos and videos!