The 2nd Annual Iron Wood Throws Clasic in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (formerly the Chicagoland Throws) featured lots of great highlights in all four throwing events -- the javelin and discus on Friday, then the hammer and shot put Saturday.
- Turner Washington (Canyon del Oro HS, AZ senior) throws US#1 and #2 all-time 212-0 with men's JUNIOR weight (1.75kg) discus, 2nd only to Mason Finley's 2009 mark.
- Skylar Ciccolini (Mifflin Co. HS, PA soph) of Project Javelin Gold fires a US#1 164-9 girls' javelin (#20 all-time), beating previous national leader Dana Baker, (Olathe North HS, KS junior) who threw 161-8.
- KD Young (Warrensburg-Latham HS, IL sr) hits three at 51-8 or better in the girls' shot, including a US#2 53-5 PR that makes her #12 all-time.
- Three reach beyond 200 feet in the boys' javelin, with Project Javelin Gold throwers Liam Christensen (Academic Magnet, SC senior) at 214-5, ahead of Gavin Darcy (Dunmore HS, PA jr) 207-5 and Ty Hampton (North Bend HS, OR soph) 202-3. In 4th, Zech Blake (John Curtis HS, LA) hit a big PR 193-1, improving on his status as the #2 freshman in the country.
- Shelby Moran (Sherwood HS, OR jr) hit a US#4 177-11 PR for the victory, with Young at 172-4 and Makenli Forrest (Woodward Academy/Throw 1 Deep, GA junior) at 169-10 also throwing career bests in 2nd and 3rd.
- Washington gets his 2nd victory in as many days with a last-throw boys' shot put win at 64-8.75, holding off local standout Grady Leonard (Coeur d'Alene HS, ID sr) at 64-5.75. Leonard was also 2nd in the discus.
- Forrest wins girls' discus with a PR 169-8, good for US#9.
- Evan Hardin (Harrison HS/Throw 1 Deep, GA sr) claims the boys' hammer at 193-7.
- American record-holder Gia Lewis-Smallwood (Nike) takes over national lead in the women's discus with 215-10, winning a great battle with the current US top six all present. Previous leader Valarie Allman takes 2nd with 210-9 and Whitney Ashley (Nike) 3rd at 207-8.
- Riley Dolezal (Nike) improves on his own national leader in the men's javelin with 260-4.
- Rodney Brown (Nike) throws 214-6 in the men's discus, beating US leader (218-4) Andrew Evans (Nike) at 211-7 and moving to #3 on current U.S. list.
- Current US#2 Ariana Ince (198-10) wins women's javelin at 186-0.
- Jonathan Jones (Nike) wins an exciting battle in the men's shot at 68-3.75, just off his 68-8 PR (US#4) and holding off the US#8 67-10.75 PR of Curtis Jensen (unatt.).
- Jeneva Stevens (NYAC) improves her seasonal best to 234-9 (US#6) to triumph over Jessica Ramsey (Unatt.) at 222-5.
- Brittany Smith (Nike) moves up to US#7 with her 60-7.75 victory, ahead of Stevens at 59-9.
- Will Lohman (Iron Wood TC) takes the men's hammer at 215-0.